koala-1

koala-1
The Pen is mightier than the sword, but the Pen must sometimes move the sword against corruption if the corrupt are not moved by the pen.. An idea without an implementer is useless. "The Rulers do not carry the sword in vain"Rom 13:4

Monday, February 23, 2015

Criminality and Cognitive Repair therapy.. can it work?

The title is a lot more serious sounding than the actual reason for this post. I just 'did' something that triggered this idea about Cognitive therapy in my head....Ok..let me set the scene.

eeeuuuuWWWW...that's GROSSSSS.!!!!  Who makes this sound ?  aaah.. it's an observer in one of those "biggest zit' videos on youtube. It's a worse eeeuww if it's some huge cist that has about 3 gallons of puss in it.  Have you ever wondered....'why' we see this kind of thing as....'gross'?  I've not studied it, but my gut feeling is that it's an invasion of our bodies and that when we see just how BIG that invasion was.. as it's all being squeezed out, that's the point where we see it as 'gross'.  Well..you can ponder that for a while. Ok..visual aid time :)

Noww..for the cognitive connection.

The thing I 'did' just now was to squeeze some rather thick long life cream into my cup of coffee.... and it was so amazingly like....the above!  I'm well aware of the psychology going on here so I can distance myself from the process. However, I can see how repeated exposure to, and reminder of the 'cyst' image when I squeeze my cream could end up with me opting for a different coffee fix formula.

The neurology going on (from a human perpsective) is pretty easy to see. Association of certain images with 'bad, evil, awful, gross' etc... is then linked to some other behavior that resembles that 'gross' stuff... and therefore we can use this as a kind of shock therapy to change the way we think about cream.

And just to annoy Devondale...here is the cream I used for my coffee!
Enjoy your next creamy coffee :)

There is a serious side to all this though. Modern psychology asserts that we are nothing more than a bunch of well organized neurons and random access memory. We 'are' the sum of our experiences and exposures. If that's the case, then there is no such thing as 'free will'.... we are automatons, like the 302 neuron round worm.. we respond to stimuli and act accordingly. I laugh uncontrollably at this idea as expressed by an otherwise very bright medical student.  He was adamant.. that my position that "Without a 'hyper' reference for our behavior (God) we are left to just do whatever we like and can get away with. Morality does not exist.. nor do right and wrong."

Therapy is based on the foolish notion that by simply re-arranging the neuron connections and memories, we can 'heal' or fix a rapist or sociopath serial killer. Ok.. I accept that there are neurological differences between the sociopath and the normal person....but these differences are detectable from childhood! So.... shall we brain scan every child and 'cull' those who give us the 'wrong' pattern?  Dr Peter Singer would probably say "yes".

Consider the issue of rape. Man encounters stimulus from attractive female...his mind goes to work.."I want her..how can I get her?" etc.. what negative stimulus will stop him ?  The last thing would be "maybe she does not want it" if he is operating on the level of 'stimulus/response' rather than a higher level of morality.  I suppose the prospect of a lifelong stint in the slammer? But, only if he get's caught right? So... he might study criminology, crimes, and forensics.. devise an invulnerable plan and go to work. The BTK killer was not found for over 25 yrs.  He derived sexual pleasure from inflicting cruelty on first animals (as a child) then adults when he was one.

CONCLUSION. I'm afraid that modern psychology is lacking terribly in answers to the human condition. I can see how our minds can be renewed....but only with  our spirits are linked with a higher power.. God in Christ. But..we don't have a spirit ??? hah! If you believe that you'll believe anything.

12 Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God – this is your true and proper worship. Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is – his good, pleasing and perfect will.  (Rom 12: 1-2)

Offer
Refrain
be transformed
See, approve

POST SCRIPT a few days after the above... when I squeeze out my rather thick cream... I cannot for the life of me vanquish the image of that huge zit from my mind!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please make comments here. Vulgarity or namecalling will not survive the moderator. Reasoned argument alone will survive.