koala-1

koala-1
The Pen is mightier than the sword, but the Pen must sometimes move the sword against corruption if the corrupt are not moved by the pen.. An idea without an implementer is useless. "The Rulers do not carry the sword in vain"Rom 13:4

Wednesday, January 21, 2015

What does Miraculous Healing feel like?

This mornng as part of my own 'quiet time', I read a passage from Matthew 9 about a woman who had been healed from a flow of blood that had plagued her for 12 yrs.  As I was looking up parallel passages, I also looked up 'sermons' on this subject and found one in which these words were present:

She hears Jesus and Jairus talking.
Quickly she kneels down and brushes her hand against the tassel and immediately she feels the change in her body. Its like a tingling sensation a warmth that courses thru her body.
And she knows she’s been healed.


I though to myself..."Has this sermon author actually felt this in real life?"  I asked myself this because he described the essence of my own experience of healing of a fractured elbow.  A matter I'd brought to God with considerable desperation over a month or 2 since returning from Papua New Guinea. (to no avail)

I suppose you've seen those whiz bang, knock em down, slay em in the spirit, showman type preachers who are all froth and bubble and show, but not much go.  They are the typical 'televangelist' types who make a huge song and dance about the glory of God, but they are more interested in gouging your money and excavating the foundation for there upsized mansion. Fortunately not all are like that, but those who are not seem to be the exception who prove the rule.  Well... I  stay as far away from that type as you would from an Ebola victim!   But back to the story.
I was in a meeting once  that I'd struggled to get to because I had to drive one handed, the other arm was 'trashed'. During the meeting they asked if anyone desired prayer for healing or any other need, and for them to raise their hand and the pastors would move around praying for people. Me?  I kept my hands dowwwwwwn.... I can't stand these 'you come forward as we sing the next verse' type drawn out emotional appeals or any other type of (what seems to me) psychological manipulation approaches to group dynamics.

Then, .....it happened.  Tingling....warm.... flooding....overwhelming....all consuming.... a feeling that I was at a loss to explain.  I concluded that "hmm.. was I just healed?"  I quickly tested my poor old appendage and for crying out loud it was fine...restored.. fixed... strong...
When I came in...I was poor.. when I left...I was rich. (physically)

Make of this what you will,  but rest assured it happened just like I described with no embellishments whatsoever. How does one react to that kind of experience?  Well, any doubts you might have had about the reality of Christ are gone, your trust in the Scriptures is confirmed, and your vision for the future is now intense. I suppose there is also the temptation to feel 'spiritual arrogance'... kind of 'special'.... and to look down on others? For my own part, I find myself looking not down but away from the shallow, limp wristed, namby pamby, easy believe-ism, cheap sale, materialistic, cozy, comfortable, 'don't rock the boat' brand of Christianity that characterizes far too many faith communities today.

That's the kind of 'faith' position I do look down on...but not from any sense of personal "better than you-ism"...no.. it's because of what I know to be true of Christ, and the sense of sadness that so many have taken in only enough 'religion' to keep them feeling less scared of death and to give a sense of meaning in an otherwise meaningless world.  In adopting this 'don't suffer fools long' approach I am  in harmony with our Lord as He expressed in Revelation to the Laodicean Church: (Revelation 3)

 I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! 16 So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth. 17 You say, ‘I am rich; I have acquired wealth and do not need a thing.’ But you do not realize that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked.

His solution to this was clear and unmistakable:

18 I counsel you to buy from me gold refined in the fire, so you can become rich; and white clothes to wear, so you can cover your shameful nakedness; and salve to put on your eyes, so you can see.
19 Those whom I love I rebuke and discipline. So be earnest and repent. 20 Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with that person, and they with me.
 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please make comments here. Vulgarity or namecalling will not survive the moderator. Reasoned argument alone will survive.